Who Is This Course For?
The Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy has been designed to provide fitness professionals, or newcomers to the industry, with the skills and knowledge to assess, treat and advise all clients, at any level of health and fitness, within or outside a sporting context.
For those who already hold their Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy, Level 4 has been designed for practitioners currently working in Sport and Active Leisure, including Personal Trainers, Sports Therapists and Massage Therapists.
The purpose of this specialist qualification is to enrich practitioners’ understanding of advanced anatomical, physiological and pathological principles relevant to the application of Sports Massage. It will develop students to a superior level in sports massage and enable them to take their practice to the next level.
Package (Level 3 & 4 together):
The ‘full monty’! For those who are newcomers to the fitness industry as well as sports professionals who want the full qualification and knowledge to a fully-rounded advanced level. When you book together we offer it at a discounted rate. You have up to 1 year to complete your Level 4 after starting your Level 3, so if you need a break in between, you can take it!
All About Level 3…
- Anatomy and physiology for sports massage
- Clinical issues – safe treatment, sports massage regulation, professionalism and ethics, continuing professional development and communication skills
- Sports massage techniques including palpation, basic strokes, neuromuscular and muscle energy techniques and soft tissue release
- Assessment of clients, joint and muscle testing, assessment of posture, profiling and appropriate record keeping
- Soft tissue damage and repair – injury occurrence and treatment
- Post-care advice – supporting clients’ return to function
- Monitoring of progress informally through observation, quizzes, and professional discussion
- Active IQ multiple choice theory paper (Anatomy & Physiology)
- Anatomy and physiology & soft tissue damage and repair revision questions
- Massage practical assessment x 3 (pre, post, maintenance massage), in line with current criteria; students required to integrate effleurage, petrissage, frictions, soft tissue release in a safe and effective treatment
- 1 to 1 practical and group/ partner work in line with the current criteria. Students will be assessed on communication, subjective and objective assessment through history taking, notation, observation, active, passive and resisted range of motion tests before moving on to palpation and treatment protocols
- 40+ hours cumulative treatment record, including thorough notes on assessments, treatments and exercise advice. Self-evaluations and client evaluation. There should be a variety of clients used. Utilising a cross-section of population age, sporting & activity levels and backgrounds
- Peer presentations may be used throughout the course noting key points on assessment used alteration in treatments and exercises.
Ideally, 4 GCSE’s and 1 ‘A’ level, or similar academic qualification in a related subject (i.e. Anatomy) is desirable but not a must. Formally, there are no pre-requisites for the Level 3 Certificate.
This qualification is open to all. There is an element of communication involved (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 3. Performing sports massage is a physical activity and learners will need to be fit enough to carry this out.
All equipment needed for the course will be supplied by us.
We have two options:
- Intensive: 3 weeks – Monday to Friday at one of our facilities in the north-east
- It will be delivered through a progressive programme of face to face learning, practical work and home study elements. All courses will start with approx 4 weeks pre-course reading before the first live course date. On evenings and between workshops, students will be required to complete home study and a log book detailing practice time. students to practice techniques learnt at each stage of the course and gain real, recorded and evaluated experience before moving on to the next level of technique application.
- Online: 7 weeks – Study at your own pace, at home with e-learning and resources, ongoing tutor support and submission of live video assessments.
- The course is supported by handouts, course manual, video (online learning materials), including a library of individual technique application. Tutor support will be available throughout the course via email/ phone contact.
- This format allows you to learn on evenings and between workshops, students will be required to complete home study and a log book detailing practice time. Students to practice techniques learnt at each stage of the course and gain real, recorded and evaluated experience before moving on to the next level of technique application.
You can find all the dates here.
It will be delivered through a progressive programme of face to face learning, practical work and home study elements. All courses will start with approx 4 weeks pre-course reading before the first live course date.
On evenings and between workshops, students will be required to complete home study and a log book detailing practice time. This format allows students to practice techniques learnt at each stage of the course and gain real, recorded and evaluated experience before moving on to the next level of technique application.
The course is supported by handouts, course manual, video (online learning materials), including a library of individual technique application. Tutor support will be available throughout the course via email/ phone contact.
- Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy
- REPs recognised
- CIMSPA endorsed
All About Level 4…
The course will provide learners with the knowledge and skills required to be able to treat, and/or seek the correct common patterns of dysfunction and pre-diagnose injuries. The course will also equip learners with advanced palpation skills and those needed to analyse posture and range of movement.
The course is inclusive of a range of advanced neuromuscular and myofascial techniques optimising treatment outcomes as well as how to plan and program a client’s post-care treatment will be undertaken. In particular, students will focus on advanced neuromuscular techniques, myofascial release and the appropriate use of the ARTS and SOAP protocols.
The majority of massage therapists are self-employed and work as personal trainers or in the private sector of healthcare. Therapists are able to safely and effectively treat clients from all walks of life, suffering a variety of musculoskeletal as well as medical conditions.
This offers the therapist the greatest potential for success in a career that can be immensely satisfying and enjoyable. By enhancing their skills, learners completing the certificate will be able to achieve more in the treatments applied, clearly differentiate themselves from other practitioners and drive their business practice to new heights.
Students will study three distinct units:
- Conducting subjective and objective assessment
- Treatment modalities to support soft tissue repair
- Provide sports massage techniques to prevent and manage injury
Unit Components Include
- Management of injuries
- Soft tissue mobilisation
- Postural analysis
- Range of movement tests
- Active, passive and resistive stretches
- Stretching and rehabilitative exercises
- Advanced massage techniques
- Soft tissue release
- Trigger points
- The Science and Practice of Manual Therapy
- Advanced Functional Anatomy & Physiology
- Assessment of Posture, Joints, Muscle Imbalances and other Conditions
- Soft Tissue Trauma, Assessment and how Massage may Help
- Principles of Injury Management and Rehabilitation from Injury
- Active, Assisted and Advanced Stretching Techniques
- Assessment of Soft Tissues and application of Advanced Techniques
- Working Practice and Developing Your Business
- Psychology and Sports Injuries
- Legal and Ethical Aspects of Professional Practice
- In-depth assessment methods and techniques
- Identifying injury and dysfunction
- Advanced massage techniques including frictions, trigger point therapy, soft tissue therapy etc.
- Devising treatment plans and post care
Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy. Photocopy evidence of this accreditation must accompany your application. Candidates must also have good health since the course involves a practical component.
- Ongoing practical assessments and oral questioning (Two worksheets & Summative observation – Palpation)
- Five summative observations – Client assessment and treatment planning (ankle or knee, hip, spine, shoulder, elbow or wrist)
- Critical evaluation
- A completed assessment portfolio which details sports massage treatments on five clients with evidence of consultations and assessments
You will also accumulate a portfolio of evidence of learning – a useful tool for later reference.
What assessments will I need to complete?
Learners will be required to complete a multiple choice examination, a practical assessment and provide a worksheet portfolio of evidence.
What support will I get?
Once booked on to the course learners will be sent student resources so they can familiarise themselves with the syllabus and start the pre-course reading, they will also be given the contact details for our student support team who will assist them with any problems outside of the classroom, and our in-house tutors will be there to support you on the day of your course.
- Intensive: 3 weeks – Monday to Friday at one of our facilities in the north-east.
- full colour stud manuals
- industry expert tuition
- limited numbers of students to ensure personal interaction
- full tutor support every step of the way
- Active IQ awarding body certification
There will be supporting home study that is required throughout to achieve the certification.
Due to the amount of information covered in the course home studies of approximately five hours per week will be required.
All course dates can also be found on our Course Dates page.
Is this course recognised?
Yes, the Awarding Organisation for this course is Active IQ. This means that this course is recognised throughout the UK and your REP’s insurance will cover you to teach this subject.
- Active IQ Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy (Level 4)
- REPs recognised
- CIMSPA endorsed
>>>Remember you can book the Package, which is Level 3 & 4 together at a discounted rate<<<